M880 gas mileage vs. octane

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 09:37:59 PDT

If you are using high octane fuel in a low compression engine you are wasting money.
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously
ignites. High octane fuel is required in high compression engines to stop pre-ignition knocking.
I use 100LL avgas in my MV's because the prservation addatives are good for a year or more.
For the full story got to:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

Regards,

Buzz

On Sun, 2 May 2004 13:06:28 GMT, you wrote:

>I am currently getting around 7.73 MPG on a recent 950 mile trip I used around 120 gallons of high
test (93 octane) and that is averaging 65 to 70 MPH. The carburetor in the truck is fairly new(not
sure if it was a rebuild) Carter and was installed in december. The truck is also really cold
blooded even on warm days if it has been setting for a while (not so much if it has run that day,
but always in the mornings), takes a few minutes to warm up or it chokes and back fires if I start
from a stop until it has run down the road a couple hundred yards(the choke is usually open as the
average morning is 70 degrees down here. Mind you before I got this truck it hadn't run more than 50
or so miles in the previous 2 years so could I have a bad fuel pump also? Once the truck warms up it
runs like a chemp and smooth as silk, just takes a little bit for it to get there.