Re: [MV] (MV) M880 gas mileage

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 09:58:27 PDT

The poor running when cold is usually caused by the internal passages in the
intake manifold becoming completely carboned up and plugged. Either you will
have to remove the manifold to "hog out" the carbon, or simply replace the
manifold. The US Forest Service must have experienced this problem with the
fleet of M880's they were operating out of Missoula, Montana until recently
(there's one of the last ones coming up at public auction on May 5th).
Last year when we bought several M1008's and 1009's/M715 from Missoula we
were surprised to find boxes of new Chrysler 318 intake manifolds as well
as used totally clogged ones included in the contract. We had been
experiencing the poor cold starting/idle/running problem with an M886, as
well as the lousy gas mileage. Changed the manifold and you'd think it was a
different truck! If anyone wants a new intake manifold I think we have some
left in our parts building.
Cheers!
Ian