De-carboning old timers trick

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 13:23:42 PDT

I qualify in two counts -- old timer, and have done the water / ATF thing -
was taught by my father who quit work as full time mechanic in 1950. He
used this method to clean oil fouled spark plugs also.

Only been done by me on gasoline engines -- DO NOT USE ATF IN INTAKE OF
DIESEL -

Here is what I have done a few times,

Run engine enough to get temp up to operating range, take bottle of water
and with one hand on throttle lever increase RPMs and slowly pour water in
intake of carb. All it will take without stalling. Engine must be hot or
you could hydrolock motor. I used 16 ounce bottle and did it twice. Seems
to do a good job of getting carbon out. Professional mechanic told me that
if there was any doubt that it works look at engine that has water leak into
cylinder and that piston will be clean on top as will spark plug for same
cylinder. I have used ATF the same way with one change - run one quart
through engine same method as water, when you have used about half second
bottle dump remainder fast enough to stall engine, then let it sit until
cool.

Friend of mine was mechanic at GM dealer when they first came out with auto
diesel engines, he was told by shop foreman to do the ATF clean out
procedure. He told foreman that this was diesel, foreman's reply was
something like "Do not tell me how to do my job just do what I told you" He
said he had never heard an engine run as fast as that one did when he dumped
quart of ATF into intake. Surprise was that it did not come apart, noise was
so loud everyone in shop came to see what happened, shop foreman was
reprimanded severely.

Subject: [MV] De-carboning old timers trick

caused by the internal passages in the intake manifold becoming
completely carboned up and plugged. Either you will have to remove the
manifold to "hog out" the carbon, or simply replace the manifold.

***** OK all you lod timers. Who was it that once mentioned a bizarre
method of De-carboing valves or something by taking a running engine &
pouring water (?) into the carb. Not enough to stallit, but enough to do
this job. Or was it ATF ? I can't remember. Seememd wierd, but had
people say they had seen it done.
Steve