RE: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: Glenn Shaw (mpmutt@mtaofnj.us)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 13:21:47 PDT

Hi
Just a few pointers may make your journeys to and from the US easier.

The country is on a war footing these days with security jacked way up.
Many things now are questioned that were not before 911 and sometimes it
can be frustrating to people.

The Customs Border Guards are not ussually MV collectors. They are just
Law Enforcement officers trying to do a tough job with the rules they
are given. It does no good to argue with them. You will just get in
deeper and deeper.

RT 524 and RT 246 are no longer permitted to civilians in the USA. They
are now on the Significant Military Equipment List (SME) and are
required to be destroyed before releasing to the civilian purchaser.
Around here they are running them over with an M88 Tank Retreiver. I
know it sounds stupid because it is just a simple single channel no
comsec FM radio but that's the reg now. If you want to come to the USA
do not bring US type or design commo gear over the border. Save
yourself the trouble. You are lucky you still have the stuff. I have
seen many times, many times this situation ending up with your truck and
gear impounded. If you get it back it would be several years at least.
I know everyone is thinking what about all the ones already out there.
I don't have an answer for that. If they could think of a practical way
to get them all back then they would. At the present time there is a
move to have them all declared contraband.

The M1009 is still (had to believe I know) a current used vehicle by
the US Army all over the country but IT IS allowed to be owned as is by
a civilian. It is not on the SME list, but there is a move by a certain
Senator to ban all camo paint jobs. But remember a Humvee IS on the SME
list and can no longer be driven across the border without State Dept.
Approval. It can be owned by a US citizen however. Humvee parts fall
into the same class for the most part. Although this is not uniformly
enforced everywhere yet it will be.

I guess the easiest way to come to the US to rallies (although it sounds
like you probably don't want to do that again) is to make sure that you
do NOT have any commo gear from approx 1970 on, no weapons including
dummies, no cammo clothing to be worn at the border crossing, and no
items of other classes on the SME list. Using these pointers as a guide
you will have a much easier time during these difficult days. Don't
forget that Congress has been entertaining the idea of banning the
private ownership of all military vehicles and ex ambulances, and ex
police cars due to the fear that they can be used by terrorists to help
pull off an attack. I don't think we should stir this one up too much
if you get the drift.

So I hope that you have an easier time in the future here when visiting
our country and give the guys in uniform a break. They are just doing
the best they can out there. As far as being in the computer I didn't
check on that but you can be sure you are after that encounter.

Later
Glenn
MVPA
MTANJ