Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 12:39:15 PDT

    Sad story. While they were screwing around with you, a number of people
carrying truly illegal stuff crossed in both directions without incident.
Hopefully none of it was parts for the next tragic terrorist act we'll see
in coming years.
    A letter, looking official and signed by someone of importance could
have been very helpful to you. Sort of a "permit" in a way. Folks in the US
who have converted belt-fed machine guns to semi-automatic often carry a
similar letter from BATF to help them when the local dimwit with a badge
shows up. It's not an end-all, but it helps.
    Is there a Canadian office responsible for control of this kind of
stuff? You could pose the question to them about the legality of your gear,
and keep their response, or, you might create a document for them to stamp
and sign. The more official looking the better.
    Presenting this request as a group (radio collector club, etc) will get
a better reception than doing it alone.
    A personal visit will also work better than by mail. You can try to
befriend someone in charge, and get the chance to *really* explain things. A
couple of trips where the guys become comfortable with you will work better
than trying to get your letter on trip one.
    As always, the guy in charge doesn't know what the hell he's doing
either. Don't expect him to know anything about it or be willing to stick
his neck out. Your group will need to do all the legwork. Find the laws, the
documentation, pictures<sigh>, the proof that this is okay to have. Be sure
to present things with a smile, you'll probably get farther that way than
doing it "officially".
    You mentioned Canadian serial numbers. Do you know what they should look
like? Think the rottweilers know any better? Well, make some up! Get a metal
tag from a lawn mower, blender, whatever.. and stamp some "approved"
Canadian mil-radio numbers on it.

 By the way:

> Customs: "You can't have all this."
> Me: "Yes I can. It's perfectly legal."

     Is where you "challenged" the rottweiler. I realize you were just
having a conversation, like you would with any normal person, but
rottweiler's don't see it that way. You challenged and resisted his
"authoritah" by disagreing with him.
    He did box himself in by making such an uneducated statement, but he's
otherwise trained to stay on top, to always be in control. It's unfortunate
he's an idiot.
    You might try changing the conversation, even without answering an
accusation like that. Just go into a song about how old the radios are, when
"we" used them (try to bond with dopey), tell them about your club, etc.
Just avoid technical details. Assume his IQ hovers around 70, and you'll be
okay.
    Still a good idea to create some permits (letters). Then when rotty asks
for it, you can show him. Hopefully that would get your conversation going
in a whole different direction....

Jim