Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 16:20:30 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Taylor" <usms@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

> Perhaps I'm being a bit sensitive, being a cousin to those
> "jack booted thugs"

Please be a bit more vigilant with your quotes, as the word "thug(s)"
appears nowhere in my post, nor any of its followups. I chose "Rottweiler"
carefully.

> One of the
> many ways the idiots have of getting into secure areas
> and detonating their vbied's is by stealing or converting
> a military vehicle.

Maybes, mightbes...no precedent. We could restrict ownership of all jet
powered aircraft to the military because a couple were flown into the World
Trade Center, but we won't because it's patently silly to anyone with more
than two clues to rub together. Instead we concentrate our efforts on
identifying the "idiots" as it should be across the board. The ID checks,
license checks and personal information checks are all perfectly acceptable
and valid tools to ensure the person driving the military vehicle onto the
base or into that "secure area" is who he says he is. I was driving a
collector vehicle to Canada wearing a wolf t-shirt. Vbied's and secure
areas didn't enter into the equation.

> I read stolen emergency vehicle reports quite often along
> with stolen gasoline tankers and the like. I don't blame
> them for checking, I do have a concern if they were using
> the tone you indicated in your post. They have supervisors, call the
> office and make a complaint.

We agree on that. Checking wasn't the problem. The attitude was, as was
the complete abdication of any sort of responsibility towards civility and
common sense. They can hold me up checking my ID and vehicle license as
long as they like anytime they like because I recognize that as a necessary
and valid precaution. The rest of their behaviour wasn't related to the
above by any stretch of anyone's imagination, and remains completely
unacceptable.