M35 Winch preload?

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 02:16:48 PDT

I have a 10k Garwood PTO winch on an M35 and it takes quite a bit of force
to turn the input shaft. You can turn the yoke itself by hand, and I'm
able to spin the shaft by sticking a screwdriver in the hole. Kinda makes
the screw driver flex a bit. Its comfortable to spin the yoke with a 16"
pipe wrench, can't feel it too much then. :) This is of course with no
drive line connected. Its pretty much the same with the clutch in or
out. It also gets momentarily harder to turn once in the same spot every
revolution. Is this bad? Should I inspect the inside of the winch? I
don't know what to expect when I open it up. Will roller bearings explode
all over the place?

:(

Grant