RE: [MV] Homeland Security Needs Your Help

From: William Taylor (usms@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 16:45:03 PDT

There are some really dense people working at the airports,
though I really believe there are not as many now as there
were prior to 9/11. In 2000 I walked into the checkpoint
at the Newark Airport with all the paperwork and identification
I needed to bypass the mag and x-ray. I presented the paperwork
to a fellow who didn't speak English very well. He said step
through the mag, I told him to look at the paperwork. He
looked at the paperwork and told me to walk through the mag.
I figured what the heck, walked through the mag, set it
off and he waived me back. I again pointed to the paperwork
and he again pointed for me to walk through the mag. The
paperwork told him I had a gun on and was permitted to do
so. Finally I had to put my hands across my chest, shake
my head no and demand a supervisor. The supervisor showed
up, looked at the paperwork, waived me to the side of the
line and into the checkpoint. All the supervisor could
do was shake his head.

Then after 9/11 I was in Detroit waiting for a connection
when I guess my number came up and they took me aside for
one of the non profile profile searches just before the
jetway. I handed the guy my paperwork, showed him
my id and he said he still had to search me. As soon as
the wand got near my right side it started squealing.
I looked at him and said "what did you expect?" He kept
right on was everyone was watching and had me take my
shoes off and he looked in my computer bag. Why?

I wish they would hire nothing but retired NCO's to
run the checkpoints. They're not so politically correct,
but I'd trust their judgement. There's a retired Marine
E7 flying the shorthaul out of Dayton, Ohio. Grizzled
old fart with a big bulldog tattoo on his forearm. I think
he makes a great flight attendant!
Bill