Re: [MV] cleaning out an old gas tank

From: Kirk Thompson (kpt@lanl.gov)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 08:15:23 PDT

I found something interesting last year that I never have tried but it
should work to remove rust. See
<http://journeytoforever.org/at_billhook.html>, look for the "Rust" section.

Basically, I would "reverse" the process described in the linked article
since I want the interior tank walls to be cleaned and not necessarily the
object immersed in the tank.

*** I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS BUT IT SEEMS IT WOULD WORK ***

Wash the tank out good with water (to remove any residual fuel), fill it up
to the very top with water, use the appropriate ration of lye to water (as
specified in the article, 2 tablespoons per 10 liters water = 2 tablespoons
per 2.64 gallons = ~19 tablespoons per 50 gallons = 1.18 cups lye per 50
gallons water), connect the negative (-) of the charger to the tank and
connect the positive (+) to a stainless object that is then suspended in
the water in the tank not touching the sides.

If you happen to try this, please re-post so we know how it works

-K