Re: [MV] Weight of an M35a2 bed? And general road driven deuce questions

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 09:50:56 PDT

Hey Folks,

Thanks for giving the spinning wheels in my head
another whirl - honestly, thanks heaps for the
replies. I've been flipping this whole idea in my head
over and over, and based on the input from members
here, I think I'll Single out the rears, throw some
11x20's on there (or some recentered or redrilled
22.5's), and look for a beefier tranny with a lower
overdrive (and hopefully keep the driveshafts within
critical speed!). The costs for an aftertranny OD box
are prohibitive, and anyway, that would leave me with
precious little room for a driveshaft back to the
tcase (last thing I would want to do is have to move
the tcase!).

This mod would also let me keep both rear axles as God
intended-conjoined twins, which I agree would be a
major sin (and a bloody operation) to seperate. I
might single screw out the rear tandems and dummy the
rear axle, but that's yet another screwball idea
floating around the aether.

And yes, if you knew what I intend to drive with this
thing (highway as well as trail), you'd know it would
be driven as intended. Already I've had this thing in
the rocks and it's better than I had expected. Also,
I've driven heaps of big trucks and even more slow and
quirky offroad contraptions in conditions exceeding
sensibility, so I'm setting my highway expectations
low and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Followup Question 1:
By the way, speaking of annoying the neighbors, I have
to put a muffler on this thing. Any suggestions? As
much as I LOVE the rumble, I think a 3.5" muffler will
keep my neighbors giving me their standard bemused
stares, instead of the eventual angry roundeye I'll
get for having a big windowrattler.

Question 2:
Any suggestions for a bigger turbo? Making an adapter
plate for the intake interface is no problem.

Finally, I fabbed up some dummy "lockout hubs" for the
front axle that act like big dust caps for the wheel
bearings, and turn the front hubs into spinners. I see
some fairly expensive ones available (although they do
have Torrington bearings in them and are admittedly
much prettier), but mine were lowbuck (cost of scrap
pipe/plate and shop materials) and hold a ton of extra
bearing grease. I'd be happy to take some measurements
and pics and put up a writeup for these. Any halfway
decent fabber with a cutting torch, a 1/2" transfer
punch, a drill, and some scrap can put these together
in a few hours. Of course, for me, those "few hours"
were the hours between 10PM and 1AM the night before I
flew to pickup, but with more leisure time, you could
do a much better job than I did. :)

By the way, I would have never guessed that the bed
only weighs 1300! I made a MUCH SMALLER (10'x6'), wood
planked bed (no sides or gunwales) for a Mog a few
months ago that tipped in at about 800!

Cheers
Bob

=== message truncated ===