Re: [MV] M35 front end alignment

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 08:14:20 PDT

I want to thank you all for the advise on front end alignment!

According to the TM9-8000 (Principles of Automotive Vehicles), the only
parameter, which is easily adjusted is the "toe-in", done by changing the
length of the tie rod.
The manual also states that the toe-in balances the effect of the camber and
can be adjusted for minimum tire wear. I guess, the question remains how
this is done.

In my case, the conclusion is that the front axle was running at max load
with 30+ year old leaf springs and shock absorbers. It is possible that,
with the crane folded, the right side of the vehicle also gets a slightly
higher load.
For future highway trips, the crane will be extended over the bed. For
off-road driving, folding the crane is an advantage since it lowers the
center of gravity of the vehicle.

Please, note that my deuce with the knuckleboom actually is a variant of the
many 2-1/2 ton truck configurations. I just havn't found the right bed for
it...

Bjorn