New Gas Scams

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 17:56:26 PDT

     Something again happened to me early this morning that I thought to be
an isolated incident at while at Aberdeen, MD. At Aberdeen last week while
leaving my motel room early in the morning, a black guy driving a Lincoln
(who came out of nowhere) approached me and had some story about having 15
miles left in his gas tank and the gas station would wouldn't approve or
honor his "pledge" whatever that is. Said he was out of town and lost but
the bottom line was he was wanting money for gas. (I said no)
     This morning at 6:00 AM I was leaving my motel for the Dayton
Hamvention in Ohio and again a black guy who came out of nowhere in the
deserted parking lot (with no car this time) strolled by and asked me if I
had a gas can. I heard someone walking but thought it be a patron of the
motel but the bottom line here again was he was wanting a few bucks for gas
(I said no) and he disappeared as mysteriously as he appeared. He was on
foot and when I stopped across the street to a fast food he was there
panhandling. They seem to be hanging out at motels in the early morning and
the woman at the fast food told me this is a new scam. Has anyone else
heard of this?

     It seems like this high gas price thing is going to cause many other
ills in our society. Julian Burke