Re: [MV] Bob Morgan, pilot of the Memphis Belle

From: Doc Bryant (rbhonk1@cox.net)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 20:27:55 PDT

I met Col. Morgan earlier this year at a Commemorative Air Force dinner in
his honor. He showed the original "Memphis Belle" movie and commented upon
the later "Hollywood remake."

Quite the gentleman, and well worthy of a hero's acclaim.

A side note to Col. Morgan....

Growing up, one of the stories my late Mother shared with us was attending
the War Bond Rally in Pittsburgh, PA that featured the Memphis Belle and her
crew. Mother laughingly told us of sitting on the throne in the women's
restroom when someone shoved a purchase form for a $1000 war bond under the
stall door. She bought the bond. My Mother's first husband was a B-17
navigator who was killed in the crash of his aircraft in England. She
decided to enlist in the WAC's after learning of his death.

I shared that story with Col. Morgan. He laughed and stated that they never
told him how many War Bonds were sold at the rallies, but he preferred
flying in combat to doing the public speaking events.

Doc Bryant