M35A2 Starting glitches

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 20:28:51 PDT

Hello all,

Well I got the truck to convert to run vegetable oil. Still a lot of paper
work to go, but getting there. I am currently "Borrowing" the truck to
collect data on warm up times, plumbing, etc. Its a 1971 (I think) M35A2
with a 1990 Hercules multi-fuel. It has some small glitches when I go to
start it after it has sat for more than half a day. So I will go out about
2pm, jump in, flip the main switch, transfer is in nuetral, tranny in
nuetral, airshift out, parking brake on, and when I start it, I don't hit
the accelerator at all. I hit the red button, it starts, sits below 500 rpms
barely running, and then dies. I tried this a few times. Next I start it and
give it some accelerator, maybe a 1/4 to half inch of pedal. It fires off,
but kind of races between 700 and 800 rpms for the first five minutes about.
When its racing, it puts out a bit of blue smoke on the low, at 700 rpms. It
completes one cylce (from 800, to 700, back to 800) in 1 second, give or
take. Once it sits for about 5 minutes, it quits racing, the smoke fades to
barely a bit of blue smoke, then its good to go. Ill drive it for 20+ mins,
come back, and its not smoking, idling like it just got a tune up. I will
then let it idle for 5 minutes for turbo cooldown (its a -1d). I will come
back about 2-3 hours later, get in, fire it off, it will sit running at 500
for about a second, give or take again, and it will go right to 800 and idle
fine. I have some ideas, possibly dirty injectors, dirty fuel filters or IP
problem? Anyone had this problem, or any ideas? Its not a huge deal, but I
would like to figure it out.

Thanks a ton!

Caleb

Military Vehicles I regularly drive or own:

1952 GMC XM211 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck W/Winch (Mine)

1952 GMC M135 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (Mine)

1984 M1009 "CUCV" 3/4 Ton Multi-Purpose Vehicle (Mine)

1986 M1008 "CUCV" 1 1/4 Ton Truck (FD)

1971 M35A2 AMG 2.5 Ton Cargo Truck (FD)

1954 M107A2 400 Gallon Water Buffalo (FD)

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute,
or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or