Re: [MV] M151A2 fuel in crankcase

From: Larry Tighe (larryradio@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 06:41:57 PDT

Is a CH-34C helicopter different from a M151A2?

When flying the CH-34 in winter, we operated a switch that pumped av-gas
into the oil tank....the radial engine uses a "dry sump". The thinned out
oil allowed the engine to spin over more rapidly during starting.

When I first heard of this, I wondered how much damage the thinned oil would
do to the engine...the salty old Lt. Col. IP told me, "the heat of the
engine evaporates the gasoline and the oil returns to its original
viscosity...stupid"!

Would this same theory apply to the M151A2?

Lar
M151A2
M998