Re: [MV] M151A2 fuel in crankcase

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 18:25:48 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Tighe" <larryradio@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 6:41 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M151A2 fuel in crankcase

> Is a CH-34C helicopter different from a M151A2?
>
> When flying the CH-34 in winter, we operated a switch that pumped av-gas
> into the oil tank....the radial engine uses a "dry sump". The thinned out
> oil allowed the engine to spin over more rapidly during starting.
>
> When I first heard of this, I wondered how much damage the thinned oil
would
> do to the engine...the salty old Lt. Col. IP told me, "the heat of the
> engine evaporates the gasoline and the oil returns to its original
> viscosity...stupid"!
>
> Would this same theory apply to the M151A2?

I had a longtime Canadian Forces mechanic tell me they used to do the same
thing with M37s. From what I remember, he even pointed to the different
levels marked on the dipstick as indicating the different levels of dilution
for corresponding extremes in low environmental temperature. He too said
that the gasoline evaporates with the engine heat after awhile.

(Guess that still means you're operating with dilute oil for x-minutes/hours
as it evaporates though, so..ouch.)