M54A2 PTO question

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 19:49:36 PDT

Hi List,
    I am trying to understand the PTO I just got for my M54A2.

If you look at Fig. 294 in TM 9-2320-211-35

You will see an exploded view of the case.
At the bottom of the figure there is a square cover plate.
Looking at the cover plate as shown pick a spot in the middle of the
top edge.
now look at the case proper. There is a hole in the middle of the case
that lines up
with that point, maybe a half inch or so up the case.

If you look into the hole you can see the shaft that is used for
shifting move back and forth
as you move the shifter.

The hole looks like it has a broken off bushing inside it part of which
appears to have
a teflon coating on part of it.

What is this?
Is it broken?
Is it missing a cap or is there supposed to be something that goes into
that hole to mate with
the shifter?

Obviously I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce MVPA 23824