Re: [MV] M35 Speedo problem

From: J (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 20:34:35 PDT

    Have you checked to see if the hole in the back of the speedo has
been damaged? Sometimes the speedo hole gets messed up if the speedo
cable retracts away from it and when it does that, it turns the normally
square hole into a round hole, thereby losing the grip on the cable. The
cable then just spins inside the back of the speedo.
    You can test for that by removing the speedo and driving down the
road, looking at the end of the speedo cable. If it is spinning, the
speedo must have been reemed and wrecked. If the cable does not spin,
the problem is probably down at the bottom end, as you suggested. If
the cable did retract, you need to figure a way to keep the cable end
from retracting. I've heard of putting a bb or two in the receptacle
down on the bottom end of the cable, to prevent the cable from sitting
down too deep in the angle drive. Dunno if it works or not. Just a
rumor. Jim