Re: [MV] M880 erratic idle

From: Vernon Tuck (vtuck@tucklings.com)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 20:21:21 PDT

I don't know anything at all about your particular critter. However, a worn
out distributor can be the source of erratic timing readings. Eelliptically
worn bushings are one possible culprit. Weak springs on a mechanical
advance and/or gooey dirt and grime inside there are another.

VT

"I have a 1977 Dodge M880 with a 318 V-8 and a 2 barrel Carter Carb just
added in December. TM specs the timining at 2 degrees before TDC. That is
adjusted the best I could however the idle is erratic and has been for a
while.While shooting the timing gun, the mark varied between the 2 degree
set point and 5 degrees.I have been unable to establish a steady enough idle
at this setting to get ti any closer. Origianblly the timing was upwards of
10 degrees before TDC at this setting the idle wasn't so erratic, but didn't
match any available spec for this motor. Once the truck is at any setting
above idle then there is no problem at all. Also, I discovered that the fuel
filter is only about half full while running, is this a problem or normal
operation?"