RE: [MV] M880 erratic idle

From: Brian Redick (B-Man@wesnet.com)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 05:36:00 PDT

Your problem is most likely a worn out timing chain and gearset. It is
recommended that if the original gear and chain is still installed, that it
be changed at 70,000 due to excessive wear. If the timing chain is sloppy
enough it will cause your timing mark to move all over the place at idle.

One easy way to test for excessive slop in the chain and gearset is to pop
off the distributor cap, exposing the rotor button. Place a long breaker
bar and appropriate sized socket on the crank balancer bolt in lower pulley.
Move the crankshaft back and forth in small increments until the rotor
button begins to turn. Take notice of how much rotation is necessary to
begin moving the rotor button. If the crank pulley rotates more than 1/8 to
1/4" inch it will cause your valve timing and ignition timing to move
around.

I have had many many Mopar vehicles over the years and none of them had ever
had a worn out distributor, so I doubt the distributor is the problem. My
M882 is a 1976 with 86,000 miles and absolutely nothing had been replaced on
the engine with exception of a new carb and new heater hoses and belts.
Needless to say, my timing chain and gear needs replaced as well!!!

Brian
M882 Ohio