Re: [MV] Rear lockout hubs

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 05:30:02 PDT

Greetings folks. I want to weigh in on this as I have experience with it and
discussed the idea with Arthur in depth a few years ago. I have a deuce
tractor and until recently had a deuce cargo. I have ran both trucks without front
drive flanges and a rear axle pulled and never had the traction problem
mentioned. Long time lister (Haven't heard from him in a while though) Geoff Kay
relayed to me that he tried it with his M35 and when it was wet, would get stuck
on speed bumps. Now maybe this is true but I haven't experienced it but for
arguments sake lets assume it is. If you are a cheap sucker like me, and you
get stuck, you would have to get out and bolt in a rear axle or both front drive
flanges. If you are the guy that is spending the money on a rear lockout and
shaft, you probably already bought front lockouts. So in the event you do
get stuck on a speed bump, a simple twist of that lone rear hub engages
everything in the back and you pull away. Lets say you have front hubs but haven't
wrote the check for the rear one and you have pulled an axle. You can just
twist two front hubs and flip an air lever and drive away. Speaking for myself, I
only pull that rear axle on long trips and if I suspect foul weather, I won't
pull it. So my summary and opnion is this; Can you get stuck? Possibly! Is it
a quick fix, yes! Is it worth the investment? That will be based on each
individual and what they want to achieve. I see the next argument of fuel mileage
surfacing again with the naysayers requesting to know why we have MVs if we
are worried about mileage. I say to each his own! If I would rather spend money
on my kids than on fuel, thats what I'll do!
Arthur, carry on! Sales will dictate if your product fulfills its intended
niche. Steve, coments and advice are always welcome. Maybe it's just me but I
like the different views on the MV subjects, it helps me to learn and
understand!

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee FL
84 M1009 (project)