Re: [MV] tire spoons?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 06:46:46 PDT

At 9:12 AM -0400 5/25/04, Brian Sikkema wrote:
>For those of us who are young and ignorant, but would prefer not to be
>(well, prefer not to be ignorant), would somebody be willing to give me a
>brief synopsis of this whole split-rim situation? As of right now about all

Well, if you think of a rim with out one of the
side rims attached. Then there's a ring (think of
a ring type frisbee) that fits over the rimless
side and seats in a raised grove. The ring could
have a split in it allowing this fitting or be
designed to stretch over. In either case, the
ring is levered on while the tire is not
inflated. Once it's inflated, if the tire is
seated properly along with the ring, the ring
will hold the tire bead in place on that side. (I
looked at a 1953 cloth repair trailer chassis
that had the non-split ring rim setup that
requires a big arsed lever to stretch the ring
over the groove to release it).

The problem lies in where the ring may not be
seated properly and the action of inflating the
tire causes the ring and that part of the tire to
come exploding off the rim. The resultant force
is enough to kill if it strikes you. A few PSI
over a large area can carry a significant amount
of force.

As a result, it's a good idea to seat these
beasts in a cage that's designed for the purpose.
If you're in the field, the only way to do it is
to lay the tire down and position the truck over
the tire to prevent anything flying up. Standing
back while airing up the tire is a good thing to
do. That's why I added a 25 foot yellow coil hose
to my tool kit for the 5 ton along with a
latching air inflation chuck. This'll allow me to
stand well back and to the side of the tire to
inflate if I have any odd flats or worse a flat
tire and the ring's 'appear' to be seated.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)