Re: [MV] The MUTT project is underway at last!! Need a warning decal.

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 16:16:27 PDT

"Horrocks, Aaron" <ACHb@pge.com> wrote:
> Register in California!?
>
> You forgot to mention that the CA DMV won't know how to enter the =
> vehicle in their prepackaged system, will not just hand over a plate to =
> a old restored MV... and will put you through an additional 3~4 month =
> wait as you're going to be required to go through the CHP for a vehicle =
> inspection.

[...]

I've registered several MVs in CA as Historical Vehicles. I really
didn't have much trouble at all. It helps a lot to have all of your
ducks in a row before showing up at the DMV counter. I get my trucks
inspected by an independent licensed VIN verifier, so I don't need to
bring them to the DMV or CHP. I have all of my paperwork filled out
before I show up. I explain to the DMV clerk (who's probably doing a
Historical Vehicle registration for the first time) that even though
it's a truck, a weight certificate will not be necessary because their
computer will force them to enter a body type of "car" for the
Historical Vehicle plate, and that I've been through the process
several times before. I went through a bit of a run-around the very
first time I registered a DRMO truck, but I haven't had much trouble
since then.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/