Re: [MV] CUCV Conversions

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 10:27:42 PDT

Hi there,

If you are looking at getting the running gear for
these, you will be looking at spending some coin for
the front axle. Except for some of the CUCV's (from
auctions I believe it's either the 1008 or 1009, yes,
websearching reveals it's the 1009), the front axles
are Dana 60's. The corp 14 bolt rears are a dime a
dozen from u pull its, but the front axle is a real
doozy to find.

When I'm not earning the chagrin of my neighbors with
my deuce, I'm building trucks, and I know that even
though passenger-side drop D60's are more common than
the ford driver's side pig 60's, they still command
some re$pect from junkyards. Figure on spending no
less than $800 from a yard for this front axle, if the
owner knows its worth. Moreover, you need a SRW
(single rear wheel) front 60, which makes it even more
valuable, since it does not have the ultrawide DRW
hubs. The SRW 60 is a rare bird.

If you are really interested in throwing a coat of
camo on a rig and "militarizing it", search your local
paper for K30's. This is the 1 ton civvy 4x4 Chevy
truck, which comes stock with the prized D60 front.
These are getting rarer by the month, and are (off the
top of my head) the most capable stock civvy truck
produced in America in the past 20 years. Odds are you
get a gasser, but these do sometimes come with 454's,
and as they say, there's no replacement.

Also, 700r4's are ok but have issues, especially the
early ones. The TH400 is a great slushbox - run it if
you can find it, although the output (32 spline, not
27 spline like the TH350, 700r4, 4L60 etc) makes
finding a suitable tcase more difficult.

Anyway, what is your goal in building this - is it to
have a mil veh-looking vehicle, or to have the
inherent capability that a CUCV does? Those 5/4 tons
are great from a drivetrain perspective (full
disclosure, drivetrain tech is my language).

Drop me a line if you need any more civvy 60 or tcase
tech - I actually have a special part of my brain that
is totally dedicated to axles and drivelines.

Cheers
Bob