Re: [MV] Home Painting Deuce?

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 16:51:52 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "FireflyArms" <info@fireflyarms.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 4:29 PM
Subject: [MV] Home Painting Deuce?

> Summer is here and I think I'm finally going to have some time to work
with
> my M35. It could really use a paint job! The OD greens don't all match and
> there's even some blue showing in spots.
>
> How realistic is it to think I can paint this thing at home?

Do it! If I can do it, anyone can.

> I have a compressor, spray gun, and sandblaster. I figured I'd just go
> around and clean up any rust (either sanding or sandblasting), smooth
> everything else out with some sandpaper, tape of the "non-painted" parts,
> and spray away. I'd also take off the easy things like mirrors separately.

Hell, you've got more equipment than I did when I painted my first truck.
The method that you're thinking about is basically what I did - except I
didn't go too crazy with sanding. I just got the loose stuff off and put a
top coat on that would make it look like one color.

> Also I'd rather not have to send off for paint. Is there a color/brand
that
> is close to the modern OD green that can be found at the local NAPA?

Even though I didn't do it with the deuce (I used the Zero Rust that Cliff
S. turned me on to), I used an industrial coating for a really rough Unimog
that I once had. It was basically a field truck, and was going to be
scratched all the time, so I airless gunned it with a color matched
industrial paint from a company out here called Frazee. That stuff was
great! Took a couple of months to harden, but once it did nothing touched
it. From what I recall it was only 20 or so bucks a gallon.

You can always take a chip off of the CARC and take it to any paint store to
have it color matched. That would probably be the cheapest way, other than
living close by one of the Gillespie dealers. If you do, I'd take the
Gillespie.....good paint, low price. But if you have to ship it the UPS
hazmat charges will kill you.

Have fun!

Greg