Re: [MV] Real News/ Gun Ban (Yawn Yawn)

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 13:34:41 PDT

Folks, at the risk of being flamed ot a chared remain of my former self,
this topic is way over the top of our heads and try as I might, I cant see
how it involves historic and contempory military vehicles. There are many
here outside North America who really dont give a toss about the right to
bear arms or otherwise or the pros and cons of Fox news,
And having seen "Bowling for Columbine" I made my own mind up about gun
ownership......

We have in just 8 days time the 60th anniversay of the greatest invasion
ever. Over 7,000 historic military vehicles will be turning up in Normandy
from Monday - surely there must be some interesting dialogue about that?
This will be the first time I have attended a D Day anniversay without a
military vehicle. With the inherant security and the omni present Blackhawks
it will probably be an easier experience. As Utah beach is outside the
exclusion zone thats where we will be on the 6th - I suspect there will be a
lot of HMV's there too.
Last week I met a British veteran of a mere 87 years just 50 yards from my
house who had been a tanker and fought for the village down the lane and the
hill I live on. His CO was Peter Carrington who later drove the lead tank
over Njimegen Bridge in Holland - and then became Lord Carrington,
government minster and elder statesman of the upper house. He told me first
hand of what life was like as tank crew in theBocage ( hedgerow) fighting -
rather him than me..... and a better man than me.

I hope that those of you in USA will be able to see good TV coverage of the
events.

NIGE