Re: [MV] Cummins engine info needed

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 20:07:22 PDT

>Therefore, these trucks are out there, and in large numbers. You very well
>may be able to buy one from Frito Lay in your neck of the woods. Otherwise,
>they're not hard to find on the secondary market.

Yes, I know, I put an engine from one into my Dakota. I don't think you can
get them from Frito however, Entennman (bakery) was another company that had
a fleet of them. The heavy/medium truck yard I frequent, where I also got
the 4BT from, got a contract to junk all of the Frito trucks for a certain
territory. I suspect that you'd have to find the salvage operator that got
the contract in your area.

Now for some MV content. Looks to me like a 4BT or perhaps go with the 4BTA,
would be a real nice replacement for the 353 Detroit in the Gama Goat.
Adapting would be a snap as it uses an SAE housing the back half of which
has the back mounts built in to it. Would only have to fab the front mounts.
But then there is one little issue, you'd need to turn up the engine speed
some to match the Detroit. Food for thought anyway.

later,

je