D DAY DUKW`S

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 07:25:27 PDT

Gentlemen of the list,
                                   For those of you in the UK there will be
a DUKW working as
usual from the beach at Hunstanton , Norfolk over weekend 5-6 June.
Adapted for passenger carrying she is a rather tender old lady of 60 years ,
who`s design life was originally to be measured in days {When does the
guarantee run out } , keeping her running has taken precedence over keeping
her original as she must earn her keep .There is to be quite a show on in
the town , a dance with music and costume to match and also a tea dance .
There will also be the amazing aluminium hulled and very powerful LARC XV
operating carrying passengers on short sea trips {weather permitting }.
 Built in 66 this agile
though complexed monster of 600Hp is well worth seeing .
If you visit this event and would like to know more , particularly about the
LARC then ask for me by name , if not there on the sea front I will be close
by , I will be only too happy to tell you all I know .
A fellow I know who looks younger than his years was on the beach on D DAY
and tells of being asked if he could drive a bulldozer ,coming from a
farming area he had driven most things and of course said "yes " He spent
the next few days at this task, but the thing that sticks in my mind was the
statement that "you went everywhere with the blade UP ----- if possible !

As D Day approaches my thoughts are with the men who fought and the friends
and families of those who fell that I might remain a free man.
I humbly say " thank you ".
                                         Noel