Re: [MV] Cab reinforcement for Gun mount

From: Bones (mrbones@ixks.com)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 16:32:24 PDT

> Does anyone have a ring mount installed without it? Any problems? >>
> most people do not install the kit with their rings and do not have any
> problems though the cab could start cracking with all that weight of the
m66 ring
> shaking around up there.

My guess is that the 'real' issue that required the use of the reinforcement
plate etc. is the >>incredible<< amount of recoil produced by the .50 cal.,
based on having shot them for many years while in the Seabees. Even though
we never had them vehicle mounted, they require substantial measures even
when on a tripod to keep them from walking around, i.e.; having the legs
well dug in and heavily sandbagged.

Have also heard from old timers that they would pretty well shake a MB or
GPW to pieces after much firing. I cannot personally tell you if that was
true or not, but I tend to believe them since they were ETO buddies of my
Dad's.

Hope that this helps, my guess is that unless you spent a lot of driving
time with a full weight Ma Deuce riding on the ring mount, or did much live
firing of same, then mounting the ring setup without the additional
reinforcement ought to be comparatively long-lived.

Good luck, with whatever you find works best.

Bones