M135, M105, Advice Needed

From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 02:45:13 PDT

I'm going to look at a converted M135 hunting buggy Sunday. Converted to
4x4, has tractor tires, older pickup body, etc. He wants $1500. After
reading some of the M135/211 posts I'm not sure about it any more.

I never found a buyers guide to the M135. Mostly I've learned to keep the
fuel pressure from a 3rd party pump low, that the transfer cases have some
sort of levers to engage the front only when the rear slows down, and that
the transmission is scary.

So for the transmission:
-Check for oil not atf in the transmission
-See if there is any anti freeze in the transmission water coolant?
-I can't find a manual, but I guess there is a way to check high/low range
selection?

Is there a way to test the operation of the transfer case? Is there a way
to weld these two levers to something and have the transfer case be a
straight through unit?

Second, is $650 a good price for two scrap M105 beds? I want to try to
make one longer traier out of two smaller ones. (bed has extremely beat up
sides)

I went and looked at several of these down at the state auction. Some had
two air lines, and some only had one. If I rememebr correctly the ones
with one came out on the right side (looking at the trailer from the
tongue). I think I also remember the units with only one air line not
having what looked like a master cylinder. These 105 trailers will break
when told to by the M35's air brake line? The second line is for an
optional break away brake?

I've been driving my M35 for about 3 weeks now. I can shift through all
the synchromeshless gears smoothly. Took a few days to get downshifting
"down". ;) The only big problem is that my heater doesn't work. Gets
fuel, but just clicks without end. These last few days I've found it
natural to hop into the thing and go to the post office, block buster, and
gas station. Not a second thought. I had worried that it would be a tough
truck to get used to.

A few days ago I had to drive my sisters blazer. I was never able to get
comfortable. The seat was about a foot too low and the steering wheel
about a foot in diameter too small. ;) Steering was nice, but going from
an m35 with two usable throttle positions to a 3,000lb blazer with 4.0 EFI
motor...well, we had traction issues before becoming fully adjusted. ;)