Re: [MV] Home Painting Deuce?

From: Bobby Joe Pendleton (bjpendleton@charter.net)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 08:08:10 PDT

here is a little tidbit I found.

Overhaul and repair of Navy ships in drydock is facing increasingly
stringent local, regional and federal regulations limiting emissions of
pollutants. Of the several shipyard operations with the potential to
generate airborne pollution, none is more serious than spray painting.
Typical paints used for the protective coating of ships contain VOCs such as
toluene, xylene, and methyl ethyl ketone which are regulated by the EPA as
hazardous air pollutants. Further, overspray from painting contains toxic
particulates which can migrate with air currents and thus cause
contamination and damage elsewhere. When one considers the amount of paint
sprayed worldwide for all purposes, this issue clearly has very important
environmental implications.

I am not saying it is illegal, just that it MAY be.