Re: [MTAof NJ members mailing list] Inspection sticker for NY state.

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 13:56:37 PDT

It depends on where you go, and how much the inspection shop knows. It goes
GVWR, not passenger/commercial.
  There are three classes of inspection in NY. Light (passenger cars, etc),
Medium (deuce, etc) and heavy (semi). A medium inspection is fine for a
deuce as long as you have a muffler. The wording of that inspection class
technically requires a muffler. The heavy class allows strait non-muffled
exhaust with a turbo-charger.
   I have a heavy inspection sticker on mine, on the front fender. I've seen
others without mufflers that had medium class window stickers.
   You may be required to fill out a form saying you won't drive at night,
it you don't have DOT bulbs, are missing reverse lights, etc. They're also
supposed to check for DOT stamps on your tires, etc. All depends on the
shop. I suggest you find one where the guys are dirty and look like they
work for a living rather than some place with show-quality gleaming tow
trucks in the front yard.....
    Registered historically, you are exempt from emissions testing,
including the special NYMA enhanced testing.
    Go to the NY DMV website and download the information booklet meant for
inspection shops. It details all the requirements. I'd bet most shops don't
know all the details all that well. They don't expect a tire would be
anything other than DOT approved, so they don't check that. You might also
toss some confusion into the mix with the historical bit, just tell them
you're not required to have reverse lights or whatever, because the truck
didn't come that way.

Good Luck,
Jim

> Hi all. Silly question, if anyone knows:
> On a deuce with HISTORICAL plates in NY state, do you get an inspection
sticker from a truck (commercial) place? If so, do they stick on the front
bumper, as with the commercials, or does it go inside the driver's window as
the registration?
> What I am asking for, is the inspection sticker the same for a historical
vehicle, (in this case truck), as is the commercial? Because normally
commercial would resemble a truck of that size.