Re: [MV] [MTAof NJ members mailing list] Inspection sticker for NY state.

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 15:03:25 PDT

At 5:53 PM -0400 6/1/04, Jim Stead wrote:
>Okay then, to confuse this even more, RVs *may* be considered as passenger
>vehicles of under, or over, 15 passengers, excluding the driver. I don't
>know for sure, but if not for exemptions of RVs and small buses I can't
>imagine why they would even have this definition.

I ask, because the trick with the classification of these vehicles
appears to be based on weight, number of axles AND as an overriding
factor in some cases, intent of use.

For example, a Class B motor Coach/Bus chassis may be fitted out as a
bus and requires a Class B CDL with a Passenger endorsement Plus IRP
and IFTA stickers/etc. The same chassis may be fitted out as a
motorhome and used privately as an RV, it is exempt from CDL
requirements, IFTA, IRP and anything else dealt with commercially.
Some states even ignore the requirement for a Class B non-commercial
(even with Air Brakes) because it's an RV.

Farmers are Excempt from CDL requirements 150 miles from their farm
because of the USE principle. So are Fire Trucks and other Emergency
Vehicles. A fireman could even drive his truck across state lines
with one state assisting another and it would be generally ignored.
Why doesn't the RV (non-commercial, for personal use principle) apply
to any MVs that we own and drive since we're doing it for fun and not
for money (ie as part of a business).

To further expand on this, the FMCSA agrees that if it's not used in
Commerce they don't pay attention to it.

Something to think about.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -