5T power steering diagnosis?

From: J (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 22:48:39 PDT

  I'm continuing to fiddle with the power steering on a M51 5T truck
(1953) with a gasser R6602. It has the old style power steering that is
all contained at the base of the steering column. There is no remote
steering jack, like you find on newer 5T trucks, located down by the
right front wheel.
    Known problem: It steers manually, but what a bear to steer! Other
stuff I know: The pump is putting out fluid under some pressure, enough
to spurt at junctions that I crack open. High pressure gets to the
 bypass valve but doesn't circulate back from there. It goes to the
steering stuff. The reservoir is full. I see circulating fluid in the
tank when the engine is running.
  It acts like the little valves that send pressure to the steering jack
are not opening. If the upper and lower parts of the steering column
were frozen together from disuse, then the steering torque would not be
sensed, and the power steering system would not attempt to assist in
steering. We're going to try dumping some Marvel Mystery Oil in the
 reservoir and see if that will break something free. Beyond that, can
anyone help diagnose the problem? There must be a manual on this
steering sytem somewhere, but probably not on LOGSA, since it is so old.
  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jim