M1009 started problem

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 06:19:32 PDT

I drove the M1009 yesterday and all was working fine. After returning I turned
it off on the driveway. Later on I opened the gate to pull it to its usuall
parking place under a roof, but when I tried to start it all I got was a fast
spinning starter. I thought that maybe the solenoid didn't enguage so I did it
again and again until the thought came to mind that if the solenoid did enguage
it wouldn't even spin. Crawled under it to see if I can see anything, and lo
and behold, the rear bolt (the one towards the rear of the vehicle) wasn't there
at all. I went and got the right starter bolt from Car-Quest but it didn't find
any threads to screw in to. I took the other bolt out and it looks like the
missing bolt snapped about 1/4 inch inside the hole on the engine. Looking at
the new bolt (for those of you who know the bolts) it looked like it snapped
right at the begining of the thread, where the wider part of the bolt starts.

The hole is so close to the bell housing that I couldn't get any kind of a drill
bit to go straight in without any angle, unless I can find extra long bits
somewhere. I guess I could thread the wider part of the hole up to the broken
bolt and use a different (shorter) bolt to secure it, but I am worried that 1/4
inch of thread may not be enough to do the job.

Any thought?

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce