Fwd: [MV] D-Day in Bangor

From: Robert Soar (billy_ruffian@fireflyuk.net)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 09:42:51 PDT

Subject: [MV] D-Day in Bangor
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:02:47 +0100

> We had a small D-day parade in Bangor [Northern Ireland] today. A good
> turnout considering a number of UMVC members were away in Normandy.

> <http://www.ferretscoutcar.info/album/webmasters/bangor-2004/bangor2004.html>

Nice to see military vehicles on the streets in a non-peacekeeping role.
How do the public react to what were vehicles used for real by the
military in NI not so long ago, the Pig and the Ferret especially?

I spent last weekend at the Overlord show, Horndean mingling with the
British, German and American troops in the beer tent after the public had
gone home. Decided to show neutrality with a German shirt, British
trousers and civilian boots. Treated the camp to a fine display of
military precision swearing as I kickstarted my reluctant Ferret into
life. (Too weak to hand crank the low compression 4.25 litre engine so
used the handle as a kickstart - and it eventually worked)
Kick, two three, <expletive>
Kick, two three, <expletive>
Kick, two three, <expletive>
Kick, two three, <expletive>
Kick, two fire, run <expletive surprised expletive!>

Batteries weren't taking a charge as I found out when I switched off
during a break on the Sunday evening cross country course. Spent the time
constructively filling those of the bins not full with beer bottles with
dead wood for the camp fire, turned away the simulated wrath of the
landowner by giving him a drive of the beast round the deserted public car
park once I had had a jumpstart from another vehicle.

Most of my lot (Solent MVT) have gone over to France, I've spent D-Day
trying to sell gear at our local autojumble and getting sunburn.

In my more sober moments this week I have been thinking of the thousands
of young, frightened, apprehensive, seasick troops landing on the beaches,
the paratroops landing and drowning in the marshes, the dead, the wounded
and the survivors. Thinking of them and of those who fought in every
theatre throughout the Second World War. Those who fought for freedom from
tyranny. How betrayed they must feel in today's world ...

Regards, Rob

1954 Ferret 2/5VHF 38 BA 15