2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks

From: Jim Zehr (jimm1009@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 17:56:46 PDT

I came across a M54W but I did not get a chance to
write the NSN down. What is the "W"?
It is in the civilian world and now has a water tank
on back. The tank does not look military and probably
was added by the current owner who paves roads for the
county.
It does have the multi-fuel engine, power assist
steering, 11:00 x 20 tires, and a manual shift
transmission. No winch or winch provisions.
My question to the guys with experience in both
trucks.
If a newbie was interested in a 2.5 ton and/or a 5 ton
which would be best to have of the two? I would not
want one with an automatic tranny due to cost of
repairs.
For the money what would be better to have for a
collector / occasional driver / rarely a work truck?
Are there more more costs for one than the other. Are
parts about the same in availablility and cost?
It appears that the 5 ton is a little faster on the
road unloaded but I am still comparing opinions and
-10s. Looking for experienced opinions from the
experts.
Thanks as always,
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com