Re: [MV] 2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks - CDLs

From: Vernon Tuck (vtuck@tucklings.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 13:10:42 PDT

What has to be kept in mind is, as stated by a previous contributor, the
individual state regulations are mandated by federal regulations. As
succinctly stated, the states are free to set standards higher than the
federal standards, but they cannot be lower.

VT

John,
    I have no weight fees on a personal vehicle. In fact, I'm not sure there
is such a thing in MD. We do pay slightly higher registration fees as GVW's
increase ( there are several weight breaks), but my registration does not
say commercial.

    I don't disagree that some states may want you to have a higher class of
license to drive a truck with a higher GVW, I am merely questioning the CDL
issue.

    --Neil