Re: [MV] GL Tax is for what?

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 14:24:24 PDT

Kirk,

As explained to me, the GL transaction takes place in
Scottsdale (PHX) AZ, and therefore they need to
collect taxes. To me, it seems like interstate
commerce, but they are sticklers about it:

http://www.govliquidation.com/help/index.html#q_30

Frequently Asked Questions
 Q: How do I register and is it a requirement?
 Q: Does my password ever expire?
 Q: What are your Terms & Conditions?
 Q: How do I update my personal information?
 Q: I am just an individual; I don't have a business;
can I still participate?
 Q: Do I need a credit card to register/bid?
 Q: What methods of payment do you accept?
 Q: What happens if my credit card declines?
 Q: Do I have to provide a deposit?
 Q: Is it safe for me to use my credit card on the
Internet?
 Q: Where on the website can I change my credit card
Information?
 Q: What are the functions of the "My Account" tool?
 Q: How do I get started buying?
 Q: How do I find the items I am looking for?
 Q: How do I find the National Stock Numbers (NSN) for
each item in a lot?
 Q: What do the condition codes mean?
 Q: Do you provide photos of lots?
 Q: What if I have questions about a specific lot?
 Q: Can I physically inspect the items up for bid?
 Q: How do I contact the sales event location?
 Q: How do I find directions to the sales event
locations?
 Q: How do I bid?
 Q: Can I automatically increase my bid?
 Q: How do I access my Watch List?
 Q: The close time was listed as 7 p.m. EST, but the
lot stayed open well past that time. Why did the
auction not close at the specified time?
 Q: I saw a lot on the Internet, but now it is not
there. Where did it go?
 Q: Is there a minimum bid?
 Q: What charges in addition to the bid amount will I
incur?
 Q: What is a buyer's premium?
 Q: Do I have to pay sales tax?
 Q: Why am I being charged sales tax on items
purchased via the Internet?
 Q: Why do I pay sales tax if the items I have
purchased are being shipped out of state or country?
 Q: I am a reseller in my home state but not a
registered reseller outside the state. Am I exempt
from sales tax?
 Q: Are vehicles, boats and trailers exempt from sales
tax?
 Q: What do I need to know about vehicle titling?
 Q: What is the "acquisition cost"? How does it factor
in to my bid?
 Q: What is a Demil code and why is it important? ?
 Q: What is an End-Use Certificate (EUC) and when is
it needed?
 Q: What is an FDA Certificate and when is it
required?
 Q: What is an Exchange Sale?
 Q: How do I know if I won?
 Q: How will the winner be determined in the event of
a tie?
 Q: How do I receive an invoice?
 Q: Why does my online invoice say "Awaiting
Processing"?
 Q: How do I arrange for pickup?
 Q: Can Government Liquidation help me arrange for
packing/shipping of my purchases?
 Q: Are there any restrictions on exporting
merchandise purchased through Government Liquidation,
LLC?
 Q: Will I still be able to remove my lots due to
increased base security?
 Q: What are the definitions of each threat condition?

 Q: What should I do when attempting to get on base
with added security?
 Q: What should I NOT do when attempting to get on
base?
 Q: How do I contact Government Liquidation with other
questions?

Q: How do I register and is it a requirement?

A: Registration is a one-time requirement. You must
register to participate in our Internet auctions,
receive sales announcements and create your
personalized bidding page, known as the My Account
tool. Simply click on "Register" and fill in the
appropriate information. All personal information
given to Government Liquidation, LLC by a customer is
private and will not be sold or distributed.

Back to the Top

Q: Does my password ever expire?

A: No, your password will never expire. If your
password has been compromised, do not re-register.
Please contact Customer Service immediately for
further direction. It is your responsibility to keep
your password secure from others. If you have
forgotten your password or user name, you can request
that it be emailed to you by clicking on the link,
"Forgot your password or username?"

Back to the Top

Q: What are your Terms & Conditions?

A: Our Terms & Conditions of sale can be viewed by
clicking here.

Back to the Top

Q: How do I update my personal information?

A: You may edit your personal information by accessing
the Profile tab from within My Account to edit your
profile. If your billing address, contact phone number
or email address changes, you may keep them current by
using the My Account tool.

Back to the Top

Q: I am just an individual; I don't have a business;
can I still participate?

A: Some property sold by Government Liquidation is
subject to restrictions based on citizenship; however,
all property is available to qualified buyers, either
individuals or businesses. Individuals registering on
our site should list their last name, first name in
the section that requests company name.

Back to the Top

Q: Do I need a credit card to register/bid?

A: A valid credit card (or debit card with a credit
card icon) is not required to register; however, it is
required to place bids. Upon placing a bid, you will
be prompted through the credit card transaction sheet.

Back to the Top

Q: What methods of payment do you accept?

A: Accepted methods of payment include credit card,
wire transfer, cashier's check, money order and
company check with a bank letter of guarantee. We do
not accept Discover Card, or third-party credit cards
of any kind. If paying by credit card, no charges will
be made to the credit card until the sale has closed
and a successful bidder determined. FULL PAYMENT MUST
BE RECEIVED WITHIN 72 HOURS OF THE AWARD DATE.

Back to the Top

Q: What happens if my credit card declines?

A: In the event your credit card declines for any
reason, please contact your credit card company for
details. You must also contact customer service to
arrange an alternate method of payment. Government
Liquidation may assess a $25 fee for declined credit
cards.

**Note: If your card has declined, your online invoice
will reflect that.

Back to the Top

Q: Is it safe for me to use my credit card on the
Internet?

A: Yes, www.govliquidation.com is a secure site. Any
credit card transactions made on this site are
protected by industry-standard 128bit-encryption
technology. Please click on the TRUSTe Privacy Program
icon below for more information concerning Government
Liquidation, LLC's encryption technology.

Back to the Top

Q: Where on the website can I change my credit card
Information?

A: Credit card information is only input upon placing
a bid. The first bid you place in a new sale is the
only time for that sale the credit card page will
display. The credit card number you select at that
time will be used for that sale only. On the next new
sale you will be able to either choose a card
previously used, or input a new credit card for use.
You are unable to change a credit card number on the
sale once you have placed the bid. To avoid
difficulties in final payment, please review your
credit card information for errors before submitting.
Please contact Customer Service if you need
assistance.

Back to the Top

Q: What are the functions of the "My Account" tool?

A: Your My Account tool allows you to view and modify
the status of your account, place bids on auctions,
view the status of your transactions, access commonly
used forms and edit your contact information. The
account management tool will also notify you if you
have any items requiring your immediate attention.

My Account will alert you if you have been outbid on a
lot, if you are the winner of a lot, or if Customer
Service requires you to contact them.

Your My Account tool will allow you to manage commonly
searched for items. If your address, contact email or
phone numbers change, your My Account page will allow
you to edit your primary and secondary contact
profiles to ensure that we will be able to get in
contact with you regarding the status of your
auctions.

Here is a summary of the features My Account supports:

Receive and monitor status of invoices
Number of invoices requiring payment or further
information
Number of lots you have been out-bid on
Number of lots/auctions you are winning
Notifications from customer service representatives
Latest news and events
Monitor status of favorite auctions
Monitor status of EUC approvals and Sales Tax
Exemptions
Ability to place bids from watch list
Monitor status of Invoices
Answer and view questions and answers
View and replay favorite saved searches
View and download frequently used forms and documents
Modify your active contact information - mailing,
billing and shipping address, phone, fax and cellular
numbers and email address

Back to the Top

Q: How do I get started buying?

A: After completing the registration process, start
shopping by browsing through our FSC Code categories
or by using our search capabilities. Once you find
items you are looking for, you can place a bid on any
lot.

Back to the Top

Q: How do I find the items I am looking for?

A: Government Liquidation, LLC makes it easy for you
to buy by allowing you to search our entire site for
specific items. You can search in several ways:

By looking for specific Federal Supply Classification
(FSC) Code categories
By keywords, using our search engine
By FSC, National Item Identification Number (NIIN),
National Stock Number (NSN), using our Advanced Search
page
For detailed information on using our Advanced Search
page and creating Search Agents, please visit our
Tutorial and select the section entitled "Using

Back to the Top

Q: How do I find the National Stock Numbers (NSN) for
each item in a lot?

A: The NSN number can be found by selecting the sales
event of interest and then clicking on a specific lot.
The corresponding NSN for each item in a lot is listed
to the left of the condition code. For specific
information on a particular NSN, please reference
USAinfo by clicking on the NSN from the Lot Details
page.

Back to the Top

Q: What do the condition codes mean?

A: Condition codes are codes assigned by the
government used to classify the condition of items.
Government Liquidation (GL) provides these codes as a
service to the customer and does not guarantee their
accuracy. GL does not recommend using them as a
replacement for physical inspection. When encountering
a condition code on our website, please click on the
code for a link to the definition; below the
particular code definition is a link entitled "DRMS
Federal Condition Codes." This page lists all the
condition codes and their definitions, as provided by
the Federal Government.

Back to the Top

Q: Do you provide photos of lots?

A: Yes, all of our lots have pictures for your
convenience. Once you have selected the sales event
and lot of interest, click on the camera icon directly
below the Lot Title. This icon will bring up a picture
of the lot. The camera icon is also available within
the Lot Details page of any lot. Photos of lots are
provided as a courtesy to buyers only, and are not
intended to replace actual physical inspection of the
property by the buyer.

Back to the Top

Q: What if I have questions about a specific lot?

A: Please submit your request via email to
info@govliquidation.com including sale number, lot
number and any other pertinent information. Questions
related to condition of property or maintenance
records cannot be answered by GL employees.

**Note: Government Liquidation sells merchandise 'as
is' and 'where is' and we do not always receive
complete or accurate information from the Federal
Government on our products. Therefore, it may not be
possible to supply you with all of the information on
your request.

Back to the Top

Q: Can I physically inspect the items up for bid?

A: All sales have scheduled preview dates. To view
those dates please click on the link titled "More
Info" under the Sales Calendar tab. You will need an
appointment to preview; you can make the appointment
by calling the specific site at which you intend to
view property. Contact information, as well as other
preview, loadout and security information, is located
under the Locations tab or the "Lot Detail" pages.

Back to the Top

Q: How do I contact the sales event location?

A: The phone numbers, fax numbers, addresses and
driving directions are provided on the
www.govliquidation.com website. You can find the point
of contact information, maps and driving directions,
as well as preview, loadout and security information
on the "Lot Detail" pages for any given lot. This
information is also listed under the Locations

Back to the Top

Q: How do I find directions to the sales event
locations?

A: Once you have selected the sales event of interest,
click on the Map icon located in the "More Info" link
under the Sales Calendar tab. It is also accessible
through the "Lot Details" page and under the Locations
tab.

Back to the Top

Q: How do I bid?

A: Once you have found a lot(s) in an open sale, there
are two ways to bid. We recommend using the Watchlist
feature. From the Current Lots page, you can read each
of the Lot Titles and make a Watchlist of the items in
which you are interested.

To add an item to your Watchlist, simply click inside
the small white box to the far left of the lot row.
After you have selected all the lots you are
interested in, scroll to the top or bottom of the page
and click on "Add to Watchlist." Please be sure to
click on "Add to Watchlist" before advancing to the

To view your Watchlist, click on the My Account tab,
then My Auctions. There you will find a list of all
the lots you are watching and the lots on which you
are bidding. You can click on each lot and make a bid
when the sale is open.

**The Watchlist is the best place to view your lots
while you are bidding because it is real time. From
the My Auctions page, click the [ON] button in the
middle of the page to active Auto-Refresh.

The other option is to bid directly in an open
bidder's box. As stated earlier, the bidder's box will
only be available if the lot is open for bidding and
can be found at the bottom of each Lot Details page.
Not using the Watchlist feature will make it more
difficult to keep track of each bid if you are bidding
on several items that close at the same time.

You may also want to browse through our Tutorial for
more detailed information. Please email us again if
you have any further questions.

Back to the Top

Q: Can I automatically increase my bid?

A: The Auto-Bid is a feature that will automatically
bid on your behalf in an attempt to make you the
winner. All bids placed on the Government Liquidation
website will be recorded as an Auto-Bid, unless you
specify otherwise. If you do not wish to place an
Auto-Bid, but would rather place a straight bid, you
must uncheck the Auto-Bid box directly below the bid
window.

**NOTE: By choosing the straight bid method, your bid
will be placed in the full amount you entered. (In
other words, your bid will automatically reach its
maximum once it is entered).

Once the Auto-bid has been placed, the computer will
automatically bid higher than any other bid until the
CURRENT BID price surpasses the Auto-Bid price you
entered in the bidder box. Auto-Bid bid increments
begin at $5 and increase in proportion to the bid
amount. Please see Government Liquidation Terms &
Conditions of Sale for a list of bid increments.

The following tables outlines the proportional bid
increments:

From: To: Increment:
$35.00 $99.99 $5.00
$100.00 $499.99 $10.00
$500.00 $999.99 $20.00
$1,000.00 $2,499.99 $35.00
$2,500.00 $9,999.99 $50.00
$10,000.00 $24,999.99 $100.00
$25,000.00 $99,999.00 $250.00
$100,000.00 up $500.00

You will be notified via e-mail when your Auto-Bid has
been exceeded by another bid. The Auto-Bid feature is
only available for Internet auctions, and not on
Sealed Bid events. Please visit our Tutorial for more
information on bidding with Government Liquidation.

Back to the Top

Q: How do I access my Watchlist?

A: You can access your Watch List by clicking on My
Account and then My Auctions. This page will show you
not only the lots you have moved to your Watch List,
but also the lots that you are currently bidding on.

Back to the Top

Q: The close time was listed as 7 p.m. EST, but the
lot stayed open well past that time. Why did the
auction not close at the specified time?

A: Per Government Liquidation Terms and Conditions,
Internet Auction lots close in accordance with the
15-minute rule, which states, "At the scheduled
closing time, the lot(s) with active bidding will
remain open for fifteen-minute (15) increments until
all bidding has ceased". Generally regarding Internet
Auction lots- if the bidding box is open, the lot is
available for bidding and customers are still able to
place a bid.

Back to the Top

Q: I saw a lot on the Internet, but now it is not
there. Where did it go?

A: Because the property being sold by Government
Liquidation is Department of Defense surplus, it is
subject to rules and regulations promulgated by the
government and may be withdrawn at any time. GL also
reserves the right to remove any lots from sale at our
discretion at any time.

Back to the Top

Q: Is there a minimum bid?

A: Yes, a $35 U.S. minimum bid is required for all
lots offered in our sales events. If the lot does not
get the minimum bid of $35, it will not be sold in
that venue. Items are sold on a per lot basis,
regardless of how many items or pallets are contained
in that lot. GL reserves the right to reject any or
all bids entered.

Back to the Top

Q: What charges in addition to the bid amount will I
incur?

A: The final invoice will reflect all applicable
charges including: Your final bid amount, the 10%
buyer's premium, and applicable sales tax. Please note
that the buyer's premium is taxable.

Back to the Top

Q: What is a buyer's premium?

A: The buyer's premium, a common industry practice, is
a 10% premium on the pre-tax total of all invoices.

Back to the Top

Q: Do I have to pay sales tax?

A: Yes, all customers will be charged sales tax unless
a resale exemption form is provided before the close
of sale. In order to become exempt, a tax exemption
form for the state in which you are located and the
resale form for each state in which your goods are
located is necessary. Resale certificate forms for
each state are available under the Forms tab in the My
Account section of our web site and under the Tax
Certificates section of the Invoices tab.

**International buyers are ineligible to claim United
States sales tax exemptions.

Cheers
Bob