RE: question about Bjorn's receipe

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 11:05:00 PDT

Bruce,

The tandem axles turn on slightly different paths and if they are locked
together they resist the turning action causing the scrubbing of the front
tires. This is really severe in driving "around town" with lots of tight
turns.

The lockout hubs (in the front) reduce wear and tear on the front drive
train and will help get you better fuel economy. It does very little in
helping the understeer problem.

The cupping type wear is still due to the tires having to fight the tendency
of the truck to want to go straight. The combination of the tread pattern
and the riding on the edge of the tire produce a "hop" with the "cupping"
the end result (based on my research).

The way I see it, good shocks will help a little, but on the deuce they are
only there to damp high frequency vibrations. The leaf springs have
"built-in" damping, in general.

The tire pressure is important to present the entire tread pattern to the
road. Underinflated tires wear along the edges and overinflated tires in the
middle. It's a matter of using the right pressure for the load. Higher speed
requires higher tire pressures. If the deuce is driven off-road at low
speeds only, this whole discussion would be academic.

Please, note that I'm only passing on the result of a lot of reading and
figuring on the subject, I'm not an automotive expert. If it doesn't make
sense, I wont say anything about it. I do have a BS engineering background,
but I try to keep the BS, in the el toro popo sense, at a minimum. Also,
whenever possible, my truck becomes a test bed for these things.

Cheers,
Bjorn