Re: [MV] T-34's as Tigers in "Kelly's Heroes"

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 22:19:10 PDT

At 4:28 PM -0400 6/13/04, GOTaM35 wrote:
>I finally bought Kelly's Heroes on DVD and watched the movie again with
>great scrutiny. I am concerned the white halftrack tank destroyer didn't
>have the little dip in the windshield for the gun barrel, but figured there
>could be one out there with like that, but I figured the Tigers had to be
>fake. Much to my suspicion as soon as I got a good look at them I noticed
>the road wheels and drive sprockets of the T-34. Once again one of my
>favorite child hood memories was dashed as yet another phony was discovered.
>Even so they are very convincing Tigers.

Well, keep in mind there's bad stand-ins and then
there's a solid job of vis-moding something to
look right.

Considering there is one ( and recently so)
running tiger iun the world that I know of, a
vis-mod is the bewt you can do.

Bad is M47s and M48s posing as Shermans and
Tigers respectively in movies like the battle of
the Bulge. Or US 155mm and 105mm howitzers (and
M48s) in the Devils brigade as German hardware
(US Halftracks too)

Good are movies like A Bridge too far that has
correct British vehicles (Dingo and Humber scout
cars, Scammels, Daimler ACs and of course Sherman
Fireflys) and rather well vis-moded other stuff
looking like German light armor and in one case a
Leopard I dressed as a German tiger. Or Saving
Private Ryan where they vis-moded other vehicles
for German hardware. Best is Band of Brothers
where they got their hands on rather good
replicas or close alternatives or even the real
thing.

I can deal with Vis-moded "whatever" if you have
to make a close detailed examination. However an
M48 with a grey paint job and a white cross is
stretching it a bit.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)