Re: [MV] ** NJ Inspections **

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 14:11:45 PDT

It equates to self inspection. There are no inspections, period. But, if by chance a historical
tagged vehicle was involved in an accident and something related to the vehicle was the cause, then the operator would be in trouble for driving an unsafe vehicle.
Because of the restrictions on driving one, I put regular noncommercial tags on my deuce. At the weight I tagged it, I do not have to have it inspected in any way. In NJ, diesels GVW of 10,000 Lb. - 16,000 Lb. are self inspected vehicles.
When I was speaking to the DOT man, I told him about one of our club members that was out for a Sunday drive in his WWII Jeep with NJ Historic Plates. A foot cop told him to get out of town because there were no parades. The DOT official informed me that by the law we are not permitted to use the vehicles for other than club related activities, shows, parades and for educational purposes. I haven't been hassled yet for being out cruising in any of my historic tagged MV's, the cops usually just wave at me. One has to be careful about insurance issues, too. Although JC Taylor asks for non-club miles, they won't provide coverage for my buyers that drive their vehicle home. I get the impression that they would have an out if a covered vehicle was in an accident while out for a cruise or something.
Joe Young