toebar question

From: Michael Howell, DO (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 21:46:01 PDT

I have a medium tow bar that I left attached to a CUCV I towed home a
couple of winters ago. Apparently it got water in it and froze. Now
it has a hairline crack running about a 1/3 of the way up one of the
tubes. This line is ruler straight and runs length wise. I am guessing
that the tube was formed from a flat piece of steel and welded and the
freezing water has separated the weld.

My question is has this ruined the tow bar? Can a qualified welder
repair it? One would have the take into consideration that heating the
metal might weaken it. Dose it need to be repaired are is it still
strong enough to do its job?

I was thinking of taking it to Mobile to the convention and selling it.
It is otherwise a good condition with some surface rust. How much is it
now worth? Does anyone want to but it?

Mike
Tishomingo, MS

still packing for the convention