CUCV PS Pump vibration/noise

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 23:10:49 PDT

Hello all,

Well its been warm here, 75+ F, so I took the top off the M1009. Been
driving around, and tonight I noticed the steering wheel had quite a bit
more than usual vibration. I popped the hood, and the hose that goes into
the back of the PS pump, and into the fitting on the passenger side of the
brake booster at an angle, was shaking and vibrating horribly near the pump
where it turns from rubber hose to metal tubing. I looked at the pump
itself, it didn't seem to be vibrating. It sounds like a bumch of ball
bearings trashing themselfs inside the fluid resivor. Not sure what to
think. Do they fail and show these symtoms? I changed the belt on it, and
the pump doesn't feel loose, but I will check all of the bolts tomarrow to
be sure. Are the pumps special to the CUCV's, or can it be a normal chev PS
Pump? Also, when I increase the RPMS slightly it goes away, very wierd.

Thanks a lot!

Caleb