Re: [MV] Panthers and Tigers, why are their tracks loose

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 11:42:55 PDT

Hi Joe,

I've probably seen thousands of pictures of WWII vehicles in various
states of use on all fronts. I would say that although it is common to
see the track tensions looser than one would expect, that was not always
the case. I too have wondered how the crews could get away with the
tracks being loose, when on other vehicles the tracks would surely slip
or get thrown. Here are some theories...

1. The tracks on vehicles based on Panther, Tiger, or King Tiger models
were very heavy. This would make it difficult to keep the tracks tight,
especially because these models did not have return wheels like earlier
German tanks (and of course tracked vehicles of other nations).

2. Because the tracks were so darned heavy, wide, and long it would
appear that tightness was not as important because the weight of the
track kept adequate feed on the sprockets. A lighter track would, on the
other hand, have a tendency to jump.

3. These vehicles were used HARD and were not the easiest beasts to deal
with. Therefore track tension was likely somewhat sloppy on most
vehicles most of the time. As you well know from your tracked vehicle
experiences, track tension is not something that likes to stay adjusted.

It is also interesting to note that the heavy AFVs of the Soviet Union
also had very loose tracks more often than not. Even when return wheels
were present. The ISU series is probably the easiest to see this on. I
could be wrong but I also think I've noted this on the US Pershing tanks
used at the end of WWII and during Korea.

Anyway, just some food for thought!

Steve