Re: [MV] CUCV PS Pump vibration/noise

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 06:17:46 PDT

When I got my M1010, it had a loud rattle (more a thrumming sound) at idle
that was caused by the hoses going to the brake booster vibrating and
banging on the inner fender. Goose the pedal above idle and they stopped
vibrating. Several owners of both CUCV's, pickups and M1010 owners looked at
the problem (since I was brand new to this series vehicle) and were unable
to give the cause.
    Very close inspection of the pump, sheave and bracket revealed a
polished curve on the face of the bracket under the sheave that matched the
edge of the sheave. Only by pulling on the hoses REALLY hard toward the
front of the truck got the pump assembly to move in the bracket, increasing
the space between the sheave and bracket face.
    It turned out that the bolts holding the pump to the bracket had
loosened and due to the fact that the sheave is concave towards the bracket,
the problem was hidden until you pulled on the hoses and saw the space open
up. An hour of cursing and skinned knuckles and a tube of Loctite seems to
have solved the problem.
    Your mileage may vary....

    Ron (zo)