Re: [MV] Panthers and Tigers, why are their tracks loose

From: Ken Boge (ken@clovermachine.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 08:22:23 PDT

I agree with Doc about his "dead" or "live" track assessment.
For those of you who don't know what he's talking about, imagine taking a
track off the vehicle and laying it out on the ground. A dead track will
lay flat on the ground its full length because the connections between the
links are plain bushings which allow the links to rotate freely between one
another. On a live track , the ends of the track will rise off the ground
because the link pins are embedded in rubber at a specific angle so that
adjacent links are at an angle to one another in their relaxed position.
Due to the resilient nature of the rubber connection, the links can flex
enough to go around the drive and idle wheels.
It seems to me that dead tracks would be fine for a bulldozer, but if you're
looking for a high speed vehicle in the 35 to 70 mph range then live track
would be preferable. Also less noise and bushing maintenance.
So there's my two bits worth on the subject.

Ken

> It's called "dead" track, versus "live" track. Check out any American
made
> bulldozer if you want to see examples.
>
> There are lots of arguments pro and con for dead versus live track.
America