Re: [MV] Generator/ Electrical/ Battery/ Theory/ Formula ?

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 12:28:41 PDT

Rather than answer your questions directly, here's how to figure out the answers:

Power drawn by the A/C:

Either look at the plate for the wattage or estimate by: (BTU capacity) / (Energy
Efficiency Rating [EER}) = Watts

Typical EERs range from 7 for very old units to 12 for the newest, most efficient
ones. You will need extra wattage from your inverter (2 to 3 times) to start the
compressor.

For example, a 7000 BTU with an EER of 10 draws 700 watts.

**********

Inverter:

The power required by the load is the output power of the inverter.

To get the input power: (Output Power) / (Inverter Efficiency) = Input power

For example, 700 Watts / 90% = 778 Watts. That is what comes from the battery.

The inverter specs will likely list several efficiencies ( often: no load, half
load, full load. Use half load in this estimate)

*******

Batteries:

Assuming a worst case condition, that the A/C will run 100% of the time, you will
need a useful capacity of:

(Inverter Input Wattage) x (Number of Hours) = Watt-Hours of battery capacity

Continuing the example: (778) x (8) = 6224 Watt-Hours.

BUT, you should not discharge your batteries all the way. The spec sheets will list
"Depth of Discharge" as some %. I'm going to use 50%, but you should look it up for
your batteries. Some are 'Deep Discharge', some are not. The depth of discharge
affects battery life.

Battery Capacity required = (Watt-Hours needed) / (Depth of Discharge)

Continuing the example: (6224) / (50%) = 12,448 Watt-Hours capacity

This capacity is in Watt-Hours. To determine the battery capacity:

Amp-Hours = (Watt-Hours) / (Battery Voltage)

More example, for a 12 Volt battery: 12,448 / 12 = 1037 A-H; for a 24 Volt battery
12,448 / 24 = 518 A-H

NOTE: In general, a 24 volt system would be somewhat more efficient than a 12 Volt
one. 36 V and 48 V are used in some applications. Note also, the battery A-H for a
24 V system is 1/2 that for a 12 V, but 2 x as many calls are required.

If you used 250 A-H 6 Volt golf cart batteries, you'd need roughly 8 of them. Two
banks of 4 in series.

Charging:

Charging Amperage = (Watts Output) / (Voltage)

Charging Time = 1.1 x (Battery Capacity) / (Charging Amps)

The 1.1 is to allow for an extra 10% due to battery losses.

So, if your charger develops 3000 watts = 24 Volts @ 125 amps

Charging time = 1,1 x (518) / (125) = 4.6 Hours.

Check the battery specs for charging recommendations though.

BTW: As an aside, a fully charged car battery (12 V @ 60 A-H) has about the same
electrical stored energy as 1 pint of gasoline used to run a small generator.

-John