Half-Track Bogie Wheels, How to replace easily?

From: John Brian Seeling (JBSeeling@cox-internet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 07:47:10 PDT

I've read through the TM, and I believe that I'm ready to start the job, but
before I "accidently" break anything on my 60-year old half-track, is there
anybody out there that can offer some practical advice to me about changing
out a bogie wheel or cluster? I have the late-style, double-coil spring
track adjuster and that big nut doesn't look like she wants to budge. I
don't have a 2 and 7/32 inch open-end wrench yet, but will purchase one
since I'll probably be needing it sooner or later anyway. The TM also
refers to what appear to be two pieces of threaded bar stock as "volute
spring compressors." The TM shows these as part number 41-C-2559-50.
Unfortunately the TM doesn't provide what size or type of thread is needed
to fit the volute spring, otherwise I could probably go down to my local
construction bolts supplier and get a piece of all-thread that I could make
work. Anybody got one I could buy/borrow, or perhaps know what measurements
I need for this tool? Can I do the job without compressing the volute
springs?

My tracks appear to be adjusted perfectly right now, and since the
half-track didn't "pull" to the right or left before one of the bogie wheels
lost its rubber, I think that the tracks are uniformly adusted on both
sides. On top of that, the threads on the track adjuster are far from new,
and I'm thinking that I will probably have to heat that huge nut to get it
to move, possibly ruining the threads on the nut and/or adjustment arm.

I would like to try to remove the driver's side, front bogie cluster without
removing the track or altering the adjustment, if practicable, without too
much work. I have a full shop setup, torch, welding machine, air compressor
and I've got a case 580K backhoe and a small trackhoe if needed. I
typically use my 1/2-inch drive impact for pulling things down but use my
ratchets and wrenches when going back together, just because I don't want to
strip anything on re-assembly.

If there is anybody out there that has done this before, or if anybody can
save me from an expensive lesson, please reply (on or off list). I don't
necessarily need for you to take the time to type your advice out, and could
call you if you reply (off-list) with a number and time when I could call
you to discuss at your convenience.

Thanks in advance,
- John Brian Seeling
  Alexandria, LA 71303