Re: [MV] 4th of July...

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 19:38:42 PDT

Arrowhead Chapter members are, at last report, supporting 3 parades this
saturday

Dallas, Burleson and Graham, Texas By attending a parade close to home
we can " divide and conquer " so to speak. 2 of our more intrepid
members are driving an M135 and a WC 1/2 ton weapons carrier to Graham,
Texas to support their parade and carry some WW11 vets in the parade.
Somewhere around 60, or more, miles each way.

We usually have between 12 and 20 vehicles turn out for the Burleson
event. I try to attend each year since there are only 2 Vietnam era
vehicles in the chapter: my M35A2 and an M151A2 shown by a retired col.

I have always been deeply touched by the response to my M35 from the 'Nam
vets and their families at the parades. Last year on Veterans Day in
Fort Worth a group of 1st Cav vets came to attention and as a unit gave
me a thumbs-up. 2 years ago in Fort Worth, as we approached the
reviewing stand, an elderly disabled vet in a wheel chair on the side
walk pushed himself to his feet and saluted. My wife asked if I was O-K
'cause I had tears running down my cheeks and was having a little trouble
seeing the road.

Makes it all worth it when things like this happen.

Frank Cox
USAF, 'Nam 1966
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC 353 DUKW
'66 M35A2 w/w

P.S. And I love the little kids who, just watch in awe as the old war
horses pass by.